DRAGON BOAT INFORMATION
DRAGONBOAT TECHNICAL CHECKLIST
- Make a copy of this CHECKLIST and work with your coach on ways to improve.
THE STROKE AND 4-3-2-1 DRILL
- Learning the basics of dragon boating is easy but perfecting the stroke takes a lifetime of learning. In this video Coach Laurie demonstrates the 4-3-2-1 drill to refine our stroke:
CHOOSING A PADDLE SIZE
- This is a difficult decision for new paddlers. Do not buy a paddle too soon, use club paddles and this handy formula: Choosing Your Paddle Length :
- Read this to refine your paddle size. Make sure you get to the CONCLUSION.
THE FINISH ACCORDING TO TIM SCHAUS:
LEARN TO STEER
- Read this information before you try your hand at steering.
DON’T LOSE IT DURING PADDLING SEASON!
- Continue to maintain your strength with Bob’s Summer Weight Program.
KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND A RACE
- Read Racing for Rookies….even if you are not. It contains some important information.
OUTRIGGER CANOE GUIDELINES & CERTIFICATION
The following information is for your safety and increased enjoyment of TRRA’s Outrigger Canoes. Please read it carefully and watch the videos which explain techniques of changing paddling sides and reentering the craft after capsizing (huli).
Certification is done by the Pittsburgh Paddlefish. The information and form is attached here:
OC Application for Certification
Having trouble getting back into OC after a huli? Watch this video: Safety Loop
You can reserve your OC by joining and then logging into iCrew